Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Where do I vote?

I have four choices about where to register:
--Pennsylvania. This is where my family lives. There's a Senate race (Hoeffel/Specter), a very good House challenger (Lois Murphy), and the state is semi-battlegroundish.
--North Carolina. This is where I'm currently registered. It's hard to gauge whether Congressman Brad Miller is in any danger. There's a close Senate race (Bowles/Burr), and this state is polling the closest among the 4 for the presidential.
--Michigan. This is where I'll be on election day. No Senate race, but it'll probably be close in the national.
--Texas. Hopeless for anything statewide, so I guess I won't be able to pick this one and help out my unfortunately redistricted Democratic congressman.

Right now it's Pennsylvania vs. NC. Any advice?

5 comments:

Blue said...

Ranking: Penn (both the presnit race and Hoeffel), Michigan (the presnit is a little closer than in Penn, but not by much), NC (bowles needs support, but I don't think anyone figures this a swing state), and Texas (no point).

Alexander said...

PA: It is very much a battleground despite the polling. In addition, my guess is that Hoeffel and Murphy will make you happier than Bowles on average. Bowles will be forced into proving his independence by voting for bad Republican bills.

Neil Sinhababu said...

The last point about Bowles voting for bad GOP bills cuts both ways: potential NC senator Richard Burr is likely to be more conservative than PA incumbent Arlen Specter. I actually think that I'll probably get more net gain on that front in NC. But there are some pretty good arguments for PA above.

Robin said...

I recommend NC. It could well remain a swing state into November, and Bowles really, really needs to beat Burr. Additionally, once you lose your NC registration, I'm not sure how you would regain it, unlike the other choices. And of course, you don't have to do anything if you pick NC.

Anonymous said...

I'd check the legal requirements. For example, North Carolina statutes govern the eligibility to vote in the state. Most states require that the state be one's 'permanent residence', and it is likely that you can't say that about all 4 states you've mentioned.