Wednesday, February 15, 2006

V-day

Amanda is awesome.

Witness this key metaphysical point. Carrie Lukas writes:

Whether it’s done by men or women, V-Day reduces women to their sex organs. How are women being helped by that?


Amanda responds:

I’ve seen “The Vagina Monologues” and I don’t recall anyone saying, “I am a vagina.” In fact, there were constant references to “my vagina”, which implies to English speakers that the vagina is something women have, as hold in possession, not that we are. If Lukas is confusing possession with being, she must be confused all the time. Her day is probably one interaction after another like this:

“Oh, I like your green skirt.”

“I’m not a skirt, I’m a human being! How dare you reduce me to a skirt!”


As Amanda points out, the Lukas view of reduction has some deeply counterintuitive consequences.

No comments: