Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Vince Young!

My first foray into online sports betting is going fairly well, so far -- I lose $9 if Texas loses the Rose Bowl, but I gain $20 if they win. Texas currently leads 16-10 at the half, partly because Vince Young is playing amazingly well and the Longhorn defense is containing Reggie Bush.

Still, Intrade has an over 50% chance of USC winning... I'm thinking of raising the stakes... but spreads widen just as the 2nd half begins and my order doesn't fill...

...and Texas wins! $20.70 credited to my Intrade account. Too bad the extra bets didn't go through. The reasoning behind my wager, by the way, is explained by Yglesias here.

4 comments:

Amanda Marcotte said...

I figured they won. My apartment suddenly went from a fairly quiet slice of the world to an oasis in the middle of a shitstorm of honking and "Wooing!"

Neil Sinhababu said...

Yeah, I bet Austin is noisy as hell right now!

Now if the Democrats stop Sammy Alito, I'm really in the money... of course, if they don't, I'm still ahead...

SHOWCASE said...

Ugghhh... my husband lost 100 bucks on this game.

Stupid Vegas and it's stupid sports.

Neil Sinhababu said...

Sorry to hear that, Bunny! I wish I had posted my thoughts on the issue earlier... might've been able to dissuade him...